Sunday, March 24, 2019

cake ingredients

i am not sure when exactly i started to evolve
into a newer, worse monster
more like my dad, i guess.

in words that aren't mine: dna, like cake ingredients
out of order just makes a mess
or it can be in order. that's from my mom, and it's true

how do controlling people find time for
each other's interests when they barely have time for their own?
i'm not sure they ever should have met to begin with

i truly want to kill the beast inside me
but the only way i know how
is by taking myself out, too. and that, is not allowed?

not by my standards, just by others'
i care most about my xena, who meows incessantly
when i go to the hospital or the doctor for a single half hour

i pushed someone important away once or ten people maybe for misinterpreting a gesture
who's to say i won't do it again
i'm quite likely to, especially if it comes free with self-sabotage

and who am i? besides that saccharine mess on the floor
of flour and eggs and rainbow sprinkles
but also blood and broken glass from breaking the mixing bowl

i'm no cake, but i suppose i'm not a monster either,
at least not on the outside.
still, who would know better than myself whether i exist only to depart

No comments:

Post a Comment